Monday, August 1, 2011

Breakfast at Anthropologie


"The quietness and the proud look of it; nothing very bad could happen to you there."



-Holly Golightly









The way Holly Golightly felt about Tiffany's in Breakfast at Tiffany's, I realized recently, is exactly the way Amy Ha feels about Anthropologie. I know it's a mini-obsession and a joke among friends now, but it is pretty profound how I feel about that store. And I've decided it's gotten to the point where I have to think about why. That's me and my over-analytical nature. So I did some thinking, and I feel that it's because the store is completely about creating an atmosphere. Something that speaks without words, maybe to a part of you that you'd almost forgotten was there, a place your childlike wonder still hangs out, waiting to be awakened and delighted again.






You don't have to do the work, they did it for you. All you have to do is whip out your credit card, if you're the type to start feeling slaphappy about money as soon as you walk through those stunning doors. You flip through their catalog, and they're not just selling you (slightly pricey) apparel and home furnishings - they're selling a story.






A story you want to live. And I believe the rooms we live in day-to-day and the clothing we wear are some of the most intimate ways we tell our story. I realize that I've always been interested in interiors and clothing because that's exactly what you can do with them.


Their are countless atmospheres you can make, countless feelings to evoke with a simple image, color, background song. I'm a very sensuous person, and sometimes it helps me recharge to just shut down my verbal side and simply take things in. And the very fact that I can't really afford to shop at Anthro except a few times a year, and then only the sale items, gives me a surge in creativity. I can take their ideas and make them mine, even if I can't take all their merchandise home. I also get the thrill of the hunt when I find that one pair of gorgeous jeans that hasn't been snatched up in my size that's been marked down from $114 to $29.






So is it incredibly shallow to embrace all of this? I mean, aren't there infinitely more important things to think about? Well, yes, obviously. But then, didn't God create us to appreciate beauty and unusual objects, and to have some small part in creating our own story by molding the matter He gave us? To compulsively quote Lewis again, God LIKES matter! He made it!






Love to all!

6 comments:

  1. Love your reading your posts Amy. Very interesting and you look beautiful in the above picture.
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anthropologie is the perfect store to obsess over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the post, I really like the comparison to Breakfast at Tiffany's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love their knock-offs! ;) You're right-- it's about the atmosphere, and the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. even God likes beautiful things, think of how intricately he designed the temple in which he was to be worshiped :) as long as those things aren't placed above God, but that we can worship God through them, i'd say He's game :) coffee helps me slow down, be thankful and worship God, it's just a less expensive hobby than anthropologie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Darlene! I'm so glad you're reading!

    Thanks Vu for transfering the comments from Facebook, ha ha.

    Such great points, Trac. And your coffee love has the added benefit of making others happy, too.

    ReplyDelete