Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Need To Knead



"Eaten bread is forgotten." -Thomas Fuller


(And that's why I am posting this today. Because the bread will be eaten soon. It's a good metaphor for my need to keep up with this blog at all. We think we won't forget things, but if we don't record them, we will.)


Our kitchen is far from done - a lot of empty cabinets and a serious lack of the proper supplies abound, but I felt an irrepressible urge to bake bread in it. (And luckily I had a very helpful teacher who was willing to bring all the supplies as well in my grandfather.) There is just something about bread. It seems holy and ordinary at the same time, homely and also beautiful. And many have said far more eloquent things about it than that.


Love to all!

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of breaking in a new kitchen with some fresh baked bread, especially if there is a Grandfather involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no better way to learn than hands-on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the smell of baking bread!! If I could only have that smell in my house every single day...

    It sounds like a very memorable day, Amy!

    ReplyDelete