Wednesday, April 13, 2011

It's only been recently that I realized how hypocritical I was when I said I didn't understand people who "collected things". I didn't mean to be critical, but I just didn't get what they got out of it. Then it occurred to me that's exactly what my marathon shopping excursions add up to. Do I really need that perfect white dress for spring? No, I have plenty of material to cover my body, even a few dresses. What I liked was the pleasure of the hunt, the joy of coming across the exact object I envisioned, taking it home, and enjoying it in a totally non-practical way. I've been toying with the idea of collecting things other than superfluous wardrobe fodder. At first I thought I couldn't think of a thing I would be that interested in, ready to scour flea markets and furtively check eBay when I had a free moment just to find this one thing. Then it occured to me: Butterflies. Mermaids. Seashells. Creepy ceramic cats. These are just a few of the things I would enjoy chasing down and putting on display. Right now, I'll start with butterflies. My Mom picked me up a scrap of this gorgeous paper in California. I know it will see a bottle of mod podge in the near future, but I'm not exactly sure what I'll do with it. Suggestions are welcome. Thanks for reading. Love to all.

2 comments:

  1. Then it's settled. You must come for a visit. We have seashells a plenty down here! We've got a few mermaids, too. And of course, butterflies :)

    I don't know how big that piece of paper is, but you could add it to a foot stool in the kitchen or cover an old, rickety book cover with it. Use it as a matting in a framed picture ?? Post whatever you do decide to do with it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all those ideas, Heather, and I would LOVE to visit. Maybe we can plan a summer thing ... when you don't have a newborn, that is. ;)

    I will definitely post what I do. :)

    ReplyDelete